Friday, September 10, 2010

The Salad Dressing Switch

On my quest for a lower calorie, whole food diet everything I eat these days has become an experiment. For example, I see how little dressing I can put on my salad and still feel fine about it. Some days I'm okay with a sprinkling and other "what the heck" days I pour it out. Here is something I started doing that helps me on those latter days. If you don't like vinegar, it may not work for you.
I make the "Good Seasons Zesty Italian Salad Dressing" adding Balsamic Vinegar instead of white AND I reverse the oil and vinegar amounts. Of course oil is the fattening part of the dressing. It ends up being 1/4 Cup of Oil to a 1/2 Cup of Balsamic. I've tried those low cal store-bought dressings and they are awful. I am sorry but salad dressing needs some oil to be good. Today was a good day because my vegetables were so fresh I didn't need a lot of dressing. No one is going to be satisfied with a salad for lunch is the veggies are less than tasty and sweet. It's one of the reasons I grow a garden. I am lucky that I have the place and time (barely) to do it. Still, I don't have that kind of culinary perfection all year. So what to do in the dead of winter? Surprisingly (maybe not), organic vegetables in the supermarket come really close to having that garden fresh taste. Especially carrots, once you tried organic you'll never go back. If we have to eat more veggies it's essential that they be freshest we can find because the flavor will encourage us to go back for more and we won't need a gallon of dressing to cover it up. 

No comments: